Friday, October 21, 2016

New Delhi, Agra and the Taj Mahal

In New Delhi, the group stayed in a five star hotel called the Shangri-La. We enjoyed a cocktail party at a US embassy officials house and visit to the American center. In New Delhi we all engaged in some serious shopping. Shopping. I bought several pairs of earrings and bath products for all of the women in my family. I also found a great paper products boutique. India is the place for handicrafts. We taxied around the city and enjoyed ourselves.

We also took a two day trip to Agra, the location of the Taj Mahal. The Taj Mahal is one of the Seven Wonders of the World. It is actually a huge and beautiful mausoleum made entirely of marble. It was built by Mughal emperor Shah Jahan for his wife who died giving birth to their fourteenth child. Her name was Mumtaz Mahal. It is built in the style of Mughal architecture, which combined Indian, Persian and Islamic influences. It is here that I must reflect on God’s blessings. What an honor…what a privilege…what a blessing to be able to visit the Taj Mahal.  I never thought I would ever be able to do something like that. AND it was a free trip! Wow!
The marble is decorated with inlayed lapis lazuli, jasper and jade. Some are fashioned into flowers and design accents. The front is adorned with calligraphy of inlayed sardis. It was completed in 1643. It took twenty years to build and it took us about sixty minutes just to get to the entrance. At sunrise, the jewels illuminate and sparkle. The structure is incredible.

The trip closed with much reflection. The leaders of the cohort encouraged me to share the discrimination that I experienced with the group. I was hesitant to do so, but I shared.
At the end of the trip, I got a great opportunity to hear more Indian classical music. New Delhi has a music scene and is the center of Bollywood. Interestingly enough, there was a band in one of the shops at the airport. Everyone was still shopping, so I went off alone. I heard the music and wondered in. There was a small pool in the middle of this boutique filled with rose petals and jasmine flowers. The fragrance was wonderful. Just in front of the pool on a small stage was a band. There was a tabla, flute, harmonium and sitar player.  I sat there for a good half hour before it was time to go to our departure gate just soaking in the sounds and enjoying delightful wafts of rose and jasmine. That was the end of my time in India. 

No comments:

Post a Comment