Saturday, February 4, 2017

Live in Botswana – Musings and Memories in the Making



Welcome to the Botswana section of my blog. I am here in the capitol city Gaborone doing a Fulbright Research Fellowship. I am investigating how traditional music is used in primary schools (elementary schools) to nurture national identity in children. I am researching this to discover a paradigm for nurturing through their traditional music African – American children’s sense of national identity as people of African descent. I am also fascinated by a seriously authentic jazz tradition here in Botswana, South Africa and the Southern African region. This is my official purpose for being here. However, this three month stay is much more than that. As a Black woman I have a continuing thirst for knowledge of and experience in African cultures. I feel that being here and learning more about my homeland helps me to better understand my African – American identity.  Just being here in the land from which my ancestors come – enjoying the landscape, the trees and the mountains - is soul satisfying. But there in my rather lofty and romantic notions of the continent lies the problem. I think many Black Americans, including myself, think of Africa with a nostalgia that in some ways is perfectly appropriate but in other ways can be a little…naïve. Africa is complex as is this small country in it where I will live until mid – April.  Complex how? What would you say if I told you that in the southeastern region of Botswana, Polka is a very popular music? (yes I said Polka!) What would you say if I told you that in contrast to a country like Ghana, where almost everyone wears vibrantly colored traditional cloth, almost no one wears traditional clothing here? (Except for on special occasions once or twice per year) What if I told you that Botswana is unique for a strong unified national identity, respect for traditions to the extent of implementing an institutionalized governing body of royal lineage called the House of Chiefs at their 1966 independence, but many worship all things "good" and bad from the United States, including the newly elected president! We all need help to understand that one!  Through my writings I hope to share with you my experiences and gain that understanding. More soon to come! - Maya
 
  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Maya,
    Glad to know your are safe and that all is interesting and well.
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete